One of the most refreshing ways to begin your day is incorporating fresh fruit into your breakfast. Nothing beats the taste of biting into a juicy strawberry or a piece of cantaloupe to begin your day.
There are many health benefits to adding a bit of fruit to your morning breakfast. On average, our daily produce consumption is around 60% vegetables and 40% fruit. With the addition of fruit into your breakfast, you can reduce the risk for strokes, cardiovascular diseases and diabetes among other health issues.
Studies show they are nutritious in any form whether it be frozen fruit you throw into a morning smoothie or packaged fruit you take with you to work. Many vitamins and minerals such as calcium, potassium and iron are in fruit which help provide you with vital energy to get through your work or school day.
Listed below are a few fruits and their health benefits:
- Bananas: high in potassium and fiber
- Strawberries: improve immune system and reduce the chances of arthritis
- Apples: rich in antioxidants, fiber and can reduce the risk of heart disease
- Watermelon: reduce inflammation, hydrate the body
- Grapes: rich in antioxidants, reduce high cholesterol
Just the addition of any of these nutritious fruits can reap current and future health benefits. So next time you go to eat your morning eggs and toast, add a bit of fruit to your plate!